Thursday, February 26, 2009

Chiaroscuro




This Roman-style Italian restaurant is located across the street from the Transamerica Pyramid. The decor is tastefully simplistic with poured-concrete benches lining the walls. As can be seen in the third picture (borrowed from www.foodhoe.com), the concrete is softened with fluffy down pillows, while the open kitchen and sleek color pallet contribute to the industrial-chic atmosphere.

I went for an early 6pm dinner - at which point the restaurant was fairly empty. However, before my meal was done, every single table was filled. The restaurant is known for its homemade pasta - unfortunately, that's not a very gluten-free option. As I explained my situation to the waiter, he coolly responded that the kitchen could prepare my entree (quail, ribeye steak, lamb, pork chop, ahu tuna or red snapper) in ANY way I desired! A simple fish grilled with olive oil and lemon? What, is that it? And from my cushiony concrete seat, I could look directly into the open kitchen in order to supervise. Needless to say, we all left stuffed.

Chiaroscuro serves great old-world Italian dishes in a sleek, modern environment. Bravo.

http://www.chiaroscurosf.com/
550 Washington St
San Francisco, CA 94111
415.362.6012


No comments:

Post a Comment