Friday, February 20, 2009

Gitane

A New York hot spot hidden in the San Francisco financial district...

Posted by Picasa

If it were located anywhere else (besides an alley in the financial district), this restaurant/bar would be a lot more popular. For the time being, it shall remain a hidden gem. The traditional yet modern feel is anchored by tall ceilings and exposed brick walls adorned with floor-length, velvet curtains.

The bar is simply stunning with a luminescent back-splash and perfectly oversized light fixtures. As a celiac, I stray from the grain-based alcohols...which usually leaves me with either rum or tequila. The bartender suggested I try their Prickly Pear Margarita with blanco tequila, fresh lime juice, agave nectar and prickly pear puree. Simply delicious.

The intimate 40-seat dining room is up a flight of stairs overlooking the bar. Most guests are dressed for an evening out, as this is definitely a place to be seen. The food is an exotic Spanish, French, Portuguese and Northern African blend - seemingly in tune with the exotic mis-matched design details of the space.

My date had the Chicken Tajine (pan seared natural chicken breast, spiced broth, prunes, carrots, turnips, zucchini, couscous) and I had the Black Cod (wild pacific cod, basque green sauce of mussel jus, parsley, tarragon, capers, grilled scallions, pisto manchego). I always carry my handy Triumph Dining cards [http://www.triumphdining.com/] in my purse, as it allows the waiter to convey all gluten-free details to the chef without confusion. In fact, this particular night, the waitress didn't even want to give me back my card because she was so fascinated by it! Needless to say, they had to a make a few modifications to the sauce - but, they were extremely diligent and I ate a completely GF meal. Was it a fantastic meal? I wouldn't go that far. Both my date and I were lukewarm on the entrees - they weren't bad, they just weren't good. But, the atmosphere was 5 star luxury. Perhaps next time I'll just take a seat at the bar.

http://www.gitanerestaurant.com/
6 Claude Lane
San Francisco, CA 94108
415.788.6686

No comments:

Post a Comment