Monday, March 9, 2009

Chez Papa Resto




Date & Time: Friday March 6, 2009 @ 9:30pm
Company: Steve
Crowd: Well-dressed fashionable bunch in their 30s
Vibe: Intimate setting with soft lighting juxtaposed with bustling bar and large communal table; Crowded late-night
Decor: Gothic/Parisian loft with textured, dark tile walls, black chandeliers and a large, ornate orange couch
Service: Very French, yet very helpful
Devour: Dungeness Crab Salad with Mango, Piquillo Pepper Coulis and Shaved Celery & (gluten-amended) Seared Maine Scallops with Roasted Squash, Chestnuts, Apples and Pomegranate Glaze

Located in Soma's up-and-coming Mint Plaza complex, Chez Papa Resto is the sibling of Chez Papa Bistrot in Potrero Hill. Make sure not to confuse the two - I accidentally made reservations for the wrong restaurant! Upon arriving, I was immediately struck by the amazing Ian Schrager-esque decor...dark and decadent. How have I not been here before?! The next star came for the mind-blowing cocktails. I have been known to leave wounded soldiers (unfinished alcoholic drinks), simply because it's more of an effort for me to drink them than to abandon them. This was not the case at Chez Papa - the blood orange margarita with spicy/salted rim was gulp-worthy. After explaining my dietary restrictions to the waiter, I asked if the seared scallops would pass the test. His answer was a resounding no, but he offered to check with the chef if any adjustments could be made. I'm not exactly sure what substitutions occurred...but the scallops arrived 100% gluten-free and were absolutely delicious. And my crab salad starter was also excellent.

I've heard the restaurant serves brunch as well as offers outdoor seating. This would definitely alter the vibe of the dining experience, but I am eager to give it a shot.

http://www.chezpapasf.com/resto/home.html

4 Mint Plaza
San Francisco, CA 94103
415.546.4134

No comments:

Post a Comment