Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Midi




Date & Time: Friday, March 20, 2009 @ 8:45pm (Opening Night)
Company: Steve
Crowd: Mix of the I-need-to-be-the-first-Yelp-review'ers and Galleria Park Hotel guests
Decor: Sleek and modern with crisp lines and monochromatic color scheme with punches of color. One entire wall is painted with a bright mural of flowers and a dark-haired, cartoon-looking woman – I appreciated the color, but not the Bratz doll look-alike.
Service: Extremely pleasant and accommodating to the gluten-intolerant
Devour: Mixed Mesclun Salad (with green apples, shaved fennel & olive oil substituted for their red wine vinaigrette), Pan-Roasted Alaskan Cod (with braised corona beans, baby leeks, spring garlic and pistou), and a glass of Cartlidge & Browne's 2007 Napa Valley pinot noir.

Although you can't miss the bright green sign outside Midi, you might miss the actual dining room. Walking off the street, you immediately find yourself in a small bar area. I had to be directed to the set of stairs on the right side to actually enter the restaurant. The restaurant itself is split into 2 dining areas, a darker, sunken room in the back and a brighter, larger room in the front overlooking Sutter Street.

I make a majority of my dinner reservations on OpenTable – the "Special Requests" box is far and away my favorite feature. I can write a note about my gluten-intolerance and related diet restrictions and be confident that this information is relayed to the restaurant. Midi was no different – and the hostess made a special point of thanking me for giving the chef ample warning. She said the chef had already examined the ingredients of all entrees and was prepared to accommodate in any way. Bravo! After choosing my mixed salad (with olive oil) and pan-roasted Alaskan cod, my server confirmed that both dishes could be prepared gluten-free, and he was correct! The cod was cooked perfectly and served on a bed of corona beans. The beans were a little harder than I would have imagined, but good nonetheless. My glass of Cartlidge & Browne pinot noir was also tasty, but I'll be sure to try the Midi-rita cocktail the next time around.

Being fairly close to the financial district, and open for lunch, I can imagine this will become another power lunch spot. But it shouldn't be overlooked for dinner, because the chef aims to please.

http://midisanfrancisco.com/
185 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94104
415.835.6400

2 comments:

  1. What did your dining companion eat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My date had the Mixed Mesclun Salad and the Roasted Chicken Breast, which includes braised chicken thigh, english peas, haricot vert, mixed mushrooms and pea tendrils. The kitchen was happy to prepare his entree without the mushrooms and to serve the chicken skinless.

    ReplyDelete